For Immediate Release
WASHINGTON, D.C. – On May 21, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Administrator Rajiv Shah will join Senator Richard Durbin, Congressman Earl Blumenauer and Congressman Ted Poe to release the U.S. Government’s first Water and Development strategy.
This strategy will address global water-related development needs by providing a clear understanding of USAID's approach to water programming, emphasizing how sustainable use of water is critical to saving lives. To achieve this goal, the Strategy sets two strategic objectives:
- Water for Health – Improve health outcomes through the provision of sustainable Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
- Water for Food – Manage water for agriculture sustainably and more productively to enhance food security.
Globally, over 780 million people lack access to safe drinking water and 2.5 billion people lack access to sanitation. Projections are that by 2025, two-thirds of the world’s population could be living in severe water stress conditions. This strategy reflects the commitment of the U.S. government to work in partnership with the global community to meet these challenges.
To view the entire USAID Water and Development Strategy, please click on this link: http://www.usaid.gov/
USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah
|WHAT:||Celebration of the launch of USAID’s water strategy|
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Kennedy Caucus Room
RSVP: Press must RSVP by Monday, May 20th to the USAID Press Office USAIDPressOfficers@usaid.gov and Max Gleischman Max_Gleischman@durbin.senate.
Related Press Releases
- Saving Lives with Puppets
- United States Announces New $6 Million Nutrition Program for Laos
- The Palestinian Authority and the United States Agency for International Development, Announce the Opening of the Deir Sha’ar Pipeline in Southern West Bank to Improve Access to Clean Water and Promote Sustainable Use of Water in the West Bank
Last updated: February 05, 2016