The Government of Jamaica (GOJ) is collaborating with USAID/Jamaica through a Government to Government (G2G) initiative to implement a comprehensive reading activity. The activity will support the GOJ’s efforts to improve reading among students in Grades 1 -3 of 450 poor-performing primary and All Age schools across Jamaica. The activity compromises education regions targeted because of risk factors such as crime, poverty, and unemployment.
- To enhance Grades 1-3 teachers' competence in the teaching of phonological awareness, phonics and vocabulary;
- To improve grades 1-3 students' performance in the fundamentals of reading instruction;
- To further equip school principals and education officers in the effective management of literacy instructions in the schools that they supervise;
- To provide parents with basic knowledge and skills and strategies on literacy development so that they can better impact their children's progress in education;
- To provide classroom teachers and other stakeholders with free access to all literacy resources developed under the Ministry of Education USAID Jamaica Basic Education Activity;
- To improve delivery in areas of the curriculum that deal with gender based instruction; and
- To improve the tracking and monitoring of literacy resources and programs of the Ministry through adequate human resource and technical management.
Last updated: April 25, 2016