- Our Work
- Job Opportunities
- Partnership Opportunities
- Dollars to Results
USAID is working in partnership with the Egyptian people to support Egyptians’ expressed desires for more responsive, democratic and transparent government. Our investments focus on shared priorities of improving the credibility and transparency of political processes, empowering women, youth and other marginalized groups to participate more fully democratic processes, combatting violence against women and trafficking in persons, promoting religious tolerance, , strengthening civil society, and supporting more transparent and responsive government. Our work builds on the energy, commitment, and accomplishments of the Egyptian people in these areas.
USAID works with Egyptians to achieve a more inclusive democratic political transition by:
- Improving the transparency of and citizen participation in Egypt’s political processes.
- Supporting more responsive, effective and accountable governing institutions.
- Strengthening civil society by building the management capacity of civil society organizations and supporting their programmatic efforts to promote tolerant discourse, protect basic human rights, and empower vulnerable populations.
Rule of Law and Protecting Human Rights: USAID is strengthening the rule of law by supporting activities that deliver continuing legal education to lawyers and advance judicial reform efforts, including streamlining case management systems, training judicial sector personnel on human rights and civil liberties, and conducting public information campaigns to increase legal awareness and education. To promote and protect human rights in Egypt, USAID is supporting activities that combat sexual- and gender-based violence and trafficking in persons, as well as support consensus building, inclusive reconciliation, and religious tolerance dialogues.
Good Governance: USAID is promoting good governance in Egypt by supporting administrative and political reforms of local government to improve service delivery, and advocating for greater transparency in government.
Political Competition and Consensus Building: USAID is promoting and strengthening civic responsibility among Egyptians by supporting projects in the areas of voter and civic education, election observation, training for women to participate in political processes, and technical assistance to Egypt’s election management bodies.
Civil Society: USAID is promoting the critical role of civil society in building an inclusive, responsive, transparent, and democratic government by funding activities that improve the legal and regulatory environments governing Egyptian civil society organizations and strengthening the management, financial, and programmatic capabilities of Egyptian organizations.
- Assisted 150,000 women to exercise their political and economic rights – including helping 48,000 women receive government IDs they need in order to vote.
- Provided organizational capacity building to over 850 Egyptian civil service organizations, improving resource mobilization, results-based management, and strategic planning.
- Expanded access to justice for more than 16,000 children and 8,700 families.
Last updated: January 06, 2016